Sunday 22 April 2012

Encounters of the Heart

Last year I wrote an article called Encounters of the Heart after I walked the pilgrimage, El Camino de Santiago -  a 1000 km walk from St Jean Pied de Port in the south of France to Finisterra in Spain.  It is one of the best things I have ever done.

Of all the various assumptions I had about the walk which proved to be true - the physically arduous nature of the task, that bunkbeds in hostels amidst snorers were not conducive to a good night's sleep, the possibility of being bitten by bedbugs - the one that far exceeded my expectation was my encounters with people.  I was never alone during the entire trip even though I had not arranged to travel with anyone.  I met people from so many different parts of the world, of all ages and backgrounds.  To be sure, there were some odd ones from time to time, but on the whole, I feel truly blessed as I met wonderful people, some of whom I know will remain friends for a long time.

The Camino was concentrated and intense - it was a melting pot of pilgrims.  Language was often an issue but it was never a barrier. Everyday I had a conversation with someone new as well as with people whom I had been walking with for hours or days.

When I think about it however, my entire trip from the day I landed in Heathrow last June to today has been a series of special encounters:  my sister's primary school friend and her mother who took me in and so looked after me in the first couple of weeks; my friends in Scotland who graciously hosted me and showed me their country; the new and old friends in Copenhagen who were so supportive and excited for me about what I was doing and who seemed to be amazed at the fact that I had come such a long way; the beautiful family I stayed with in Rouen, who so patiently persevered having conversations with me in French over dinner and who got me out of bed at midnight one night late January to show me their first snowfall that winter; my dear friend in Paris who opened her home to me and so generously shared her life; my friends in Southampton who came up with creative ideas to help me upon my return to England earlier this year and who are wanting the best for me.  There are too many to mention them all.

Even in the last six weeks here in London, I have been surrounded by good people.  Ma and Pa Kettle, since our joint visit to Emergency, have done all they can to look after me; friends in Sydney and around the world have connected me with their friends who live here.  Every week, I have had the pleasure of meeting someone new in a new suburb of London (and further afield).  They have all been warm, welcoming, and decent people.  A young woman from New Zealand, inspite of being heavily pregnant met with me a number of times; a couple from Brisbane and their little boy had brunch with me and then drove me to Notting Hill so I could enjoy the markets; a fantasy artist in Chingford who showed me his artwork and invited me to visit his home, where we shared a meal over a nice conversation; a French woman who took me to Sir John Soane's Museum (an amazing home and museum which I probably would never have found otherwise); a French-Scottish couple in Portsmouth who invited me and our mutual friend from Spain to spend the weekend in their home.

These encounters of the heart are a constant theme and I am so fortunate.






No comments:

Post a Comment