Tuesday 23 July 2013

Interlude at the Isle of Glass


Although now the memories are not so sharp, a little about Glastonbury, a place I had only heard and read about.  

After being touched by the numinous light between day and night, the bus continued onwards and in my half asleep state, I took in Bath, Wells and finally Glastonbury.  It was dark and late by the time I arrived.

It had been a long day and what a relief to be welcomed by my host and hostess.  I was shown my beautiful room, furnished with a double bed and lots of space (finally I could breathe and be).  A bathroom was next door with a bath.  

Thank God I had arrived here.  I knew in that moment that I needed to stay another night after my schedule had been turned upside down by the bus debacle.  

I had come here to take part in a ceremony honouring the Divine Feminine and to heal the wounds and trauma perpetrated by the medical profession on women in childbirth, the latter of which I was only to become aware of after the event had started.  I had also come drawn by the presence of one of my teachers from Australia who would be leading the day.  

When I opened the curtains the following morning, my bedroom window presented to me the gentle green landscape once known as the Isle of Glass. It was a beautiful summer morning in anticipation of all of the possibilities of a new beginning.  

I walked to the Chalice Well Gardens which was where I would spend the rest of the day.  A day of ritual, of sharing with other women, of being held and honoured, a day of co-creation.  I also learned of the horrors of our 21st century obstetric practice and midwifery.

I heard stories from student midwives who were traumatised by their training, from women who had experienced their own traumas in childbirth, and of the prevailing attitudes of the medical profession, not necessarily informed by malice or ill will but by ignorance, habit and unconsciousness.  Attitudes and practices that seemed primitive and barbaric.  

I was struck by the honesty and strength of these women, of all ages, who were gathered here in the hope that working together like this would bring about changes in our world, of restoring balance in a world gone awry.  

Of the many gifts I received that day, one of the most beautiful was my connection with, Myriam, a Spanish woman.  She came with her 5 month old daughter and I was utterly mesmerised by their relationship.  They embodied the energy of the Madonna and Child.  The mother was totally present for her daughter and the child was so at ease, happy to be lain on the floor amongst the rest of us in Circle.  I have never seen such beauty and light as what these two brought with them.  

When the day finally came to a close, many of us climbed the famous Tor.  The wind was blowing wildly and the sun was shining as our group made our way up.  Perhaps the elements were happy with the work we had done that day and were helping us blow away what no longer served us

A couple of hours later, after I had said good-bye to the women and I had returned to my B&B, I ventured into the town for a bite to eat.  I found a viby cafe, secured a table and ordered some food.  

As I was just about to settle into some reflection of the day, I saw Myriam, her baby and her teenage daughter enter the cafe.  How delightful to see them!  I invited them to join me at my table.  I had been looking forward to my own company, but for them, I was happy to share my table and evening. I learned many things about this beautiful family.  Myriam’s husband was back home in the mountains near Barcelona where he is building Myriam's and his vision, a healing centre for women.  She herself is an artist and photographer, honouring nature and the sacred feminine.  http://myriamnegre.es She and her daughter speak fluent English and so we ate and talked, exchanging stories about our lives and journeys.






















No comments:

Post a Comment